I am pleased to announced that, at the regular meeting of the Holy Angel University Board
of Trustees held yesterday (May 11, 2020), the Board approved the Management’s
recommendation to not increase Tuition and Other School Fees for SY 2020-2021. The
Board made this decision after considering the current state of the economy—in
particular, the levels of economic inactivity and unemployment resulting from the COVID-
19 pandemic—and its adverse impact on the affordability of HAU education.
The following is a summary of the Student Economic Relief Package that your university
leaders have developed in consultation with our governing board and that will be
implemented during SY 2020-2021:
- Holy Angel University will not implement the approved increases in Tuition and Oher
School Fees (miscellaneous fees) for all students for the 2020-2021 school year.
- The University will not collect the following approved miscellaneous fees for SY
2020-2021 for students at all levels: Guidance and Counseling, Medical and Dental,
Athletic, Audio-Visual, and Student Activity Fee. All student councils and publications
have also agreed not to charge their respective fees. Students in College, Senior
High School, Junior High. School, and Grade School will have additional approved
miscel-laneous fees that will not be collected during the coming year. For College
students, the waived fees amount to a total of ₱1,843.00. For Basic Education
students, the amount of the waived fees range from a low of ₱2,266 for Junior High
School to₱3,949.00 for Nursery and Kindergarten.
- Continuing students who have no back accounts as of the end of the Second Semester
of SY 2019-2020 but who cannot pay in full the Entrance Fee (enrollment
down payment) may be allowed to enroll with a minimum payment of Three
Thousand Pesos (₱3,000).
- Continuing students who have back accounts as of the end of the Second Semester
of SY 2019-2020 will be allowed to enroll in the First Semester of SY 2020-2021;
provided, however, that:
- 4.1 They fully settle their back accounts from the Second Semester of SY 2019-2020
and pay a minimum Entrance Fee of Five Hundred Pesos (₱500); or
- 4.2 They and their parents/guardians: (a) sign a promissory note with a monthly
installment plan that will enable them to settle both their back accounts and First
Semester tuition and other school fees until the end of the First Semester of SY
2020-2021; and (b) pay 50% of the Entrance Fee (enrollment down payment).
- A total of 1,000 tablets will be made available for check-out for a period up to twelve
months, renewable upon request, by students who are in extreme financial need and
who have no gadgets.
- The University will offer the following scholarships, grants, and loans to HAU students:
Merit-Based, Need-Blind Scholarships
- 6.1. Entrance Scholarships – 100%, 75% and 50% tuition discounts respectively to
Grade 12 valedictorians, salutatorians and upper 10%, as certified by their principal,
plus additional cash assistance of ₱7,000, ₱5,000 and ₱3,000.
- 6.2. Academic Scholarships – 100% tuition discounts to Top 1% of student population
per year level of each college, based on the population of the college
- 6.3. HAFRD Scholarships – 100% tuition discounts to students in president’s/
dean’s lists ranked after the Top 1% who receive academic scholarships
- 6.4. ISSI Academic Grants – 100% tuition discounts to students ranked after the
Top 1% and HAFRD scholars
Need-Based Grants and Work-Study Scholarships
- 6.5. Expanded Grants – meal allowance (₱3,900), transportation allowance
(₱3,900), dormitory subsidy (₱3,900), tuition voucher (₱3,000), book allowance
(₱2,000) and uniform allowance (₱2,000) to qualified freshmen
- 6.6. ISSI Financial Assistance – 50%-100% tuition discounts to students who render
duty hours in HAU
- 6.7. Student Assistantship Scholarships – 100% tuition discount and ₱500 monthly
transportation allowance to academically qualified students who rendered 24
hours/week duty in HAU last semester
Scholarships and Grants for Special Student Populations
- 6.8. Talent Scholarships – 100%-50% tuition discounts and free costumes to current
members of the HAU Chorale, Dance Theatre, Orchestra (Band), and
- 6.9. Sports Scholarships – 100% tuition discounts and free uniforms to current
members of the various HAU varsity teams (basketball, badminton, athletics,
chess, lawn tennis, table tennis, tae kwon do, volleyball)
- 6.10. HAU Employees’ Dependents – 100% tuition discounts to children of regular
- 6.11. Scholarships for Special Groups – 100% tuition discounts for indigenous
peoples; displaced refugees; Angeles City PNP, BJMP, and BFP dependents;
persons with disabilities; and freshmen taking up the BSE degree majoring in
Mathematics, Science, English, or Values Education
- 6.12. PGMA Loans – ₱20,000 and ₱10,000 loans to graduating students and nongraduating
students, with no-co-maker required
- 6.13. GO PHILIPPINES – scholarships, grants, loans and financial assistance to students
who apply to GO PHILIPPINES
- The University is currently negotiating with internet service providers and telecommunication
companies to provide wifi internet plans or data plans to HAU students at a
special educational discount. Further information will be forthcoming.
The education of our youth must continue despite COVID-19. We cannot relegate
education to a lower priority as history has been replete with examples of foregone human
development when education had been interrupted. We are all about students! We are
committed to enabling them to complete their studies in a timely manner. Therefore, we
will do everything necessary and feasible (including digital transformation) to empower
our students to achieve their dreams and do extraordinary things.
Thank you very much. May you and your loved ones be spared from harm and enjoy the
blessings of good health and peace during this pandemic. Laus Deo semper!
Sincerely in the Risen Christ,
Luis María R. Calingo, Ph.D.